Monday, March 19, 2012

living in the now

         How many times have you wished you could jump forward in time or go back in time? For me, that has been too many. I have talked in another post about this topic, but God is still teaching me. I am thrilled about this summer, I do not know yet what I will be doing, but I get to be home for several months. I am thrilled just to see my family on an everyday basis and to have that support with me as I start my days.
     Okay, lets jump back in time... say a year ago. I was dying to graduate from my high school, to live away from my parents, and to experience college life. I thought it would be exactly what I needed. Although college has been exactly what I needed, I did not need it at this time in my life last year. There is absolutely a reason God has you in the place you are at right now. There is no doubt about it. But the question to ask ourselves: Am I letting Him work through me right now or am I not wanting to deal with the now by wishing for another time to come?
     As I am able to look back, I remember this time last year: I believed I was supposed to already be in college. How wrong was I! Jesus still had work to do within me, He had plans for me at home, plans that I tried to jump ahead of. And by my wishful thinkings, I missed out on experiencing the word "enjoy." I would not let myself enjoy the now I was living in because I so desperately believed I should be somewhere else.
     Y'all... we are living in sin when we don't live in the now. When we are not letting ourselves enjoy the present moment Jesus has given to us as a gift. The bible tells us it is not wise to ask the question, 'why were the old days better than these?' (Ecclesiastes 7:10)

 When God gives any man wealth and possessions and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work- this is a gift of God. He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart. Ecclesiastes 5:19-20
     It is so easily for our human mind's to wish and dream. I have learned over the years, my wishes and dreams were becoming out of control, which is when I learned I must let God in on them. The devil was using those times of wishful dreams to make my ways seem greater than what God could do. My dreams made me start focusing on my plans rather than God's plans for me. And God has been teaching me to hand my dreams over to Him. He has been teaching me how to communicate with Him and to share them with Him. When I do that, He is able to provide me with peace and understanding of His dreams for me. It enables me to stand in awe of Him and the gifts He has right in front of me.
Much dreaming and many words are meaningless. Therefore stand in awe of God. 
Ecclesiastes 4:7
     My roommate and I were talking today about how excited we are for summer and a long break. But I kept catching myself, because I don't want to wish away these last six weeks. I am here, living during this time of my life for a reason. And my prayer for the rest of these six weeks is that I will fully live out His desires for my first year here. But, as we were talking about summer, He showed me I can still look forward to future times and get excited for what He has planned. I just don't have to wish away the now I am at.
     I encourage you to live in the now. To accept where you are in life as a gift from God and be thankful for this time. It might be a hard time, sad time, happy time, busy time... whatever type of time you are living in, know it is Christ your Lord and Savior working within you. His love will never run out on you! Be patient in Him and let His works be made beautiful in its time (Ecclesiastes 4).


Consider what God has done:
Who can straighten what he has made crooked?
When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider:
God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, a man cannot discover anything about his future.
Ecclesiastes 7:14 

Be joyful always, pray continuously, give thanks in all circumstances, 
for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

0 comments:

Post a Comment