Friday, March 9, 2012

the love aroma

Dear friends, no one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us. 
1 John 4:12
    Why is it on mission trips we instantly and constantly start loving on people we do not know, but then, when we get back to our daily routines we don't show love to the people who pass by in our daily routines? Don't they need to see Jesus' love too? Its like we give an excuse that because this is our daily routine, we don't have time to treat every single person with love and respect. I'm not saying we are constantly telling ourselves that, but its like we live by that motto. And for me to say that brings the realization I am disobeying God. Because I am giving God an excuse for the command He has told: whoever loves God must also love his brother (1 John 4:21). What good does it do if I don't share Jesus' love? So what, if I have had a rough day or just a busy day, that is not an excuse for me not to show Jesus' love. We are living in a world that is drowned down by the Devil. And we who love Jesus, can overcome this world. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God (1 John 5:5). 
     As I have been spending the last two weeks studying for all of my exams, I sat my screensaver to pictures from my last mission trip in Belize from a year ago. Probably not the smartest idea when I should be studying, because every time they came up, I would spend quite the time watching them and reflecting on the memories. But thats okay, because even through my two weeks of dreadful studying, Jesus was still able to encourage and teach me. Something I noticed in each of the pictures, the smiles. Not just my smiles but the kids, the adults, the teams - every single person shined a smile that screamed Jesus. And as I looked at those pictures, a smile came onto my face. Then I began to think, people around me in the library are probably wondering why I am smiling so big, while everyone is in a miserable mood studying, here I am smiling. Thats it! Thats when it hit me, all I have to do is smile and show love in all that I do. Because even when people are in their worse mood, say for being in the library for the 6th hour straight, if they see a smile, its going to stand out to them. 
     I keep hearing this is the time, this is the time for our generation to rise and lift up Jesus and to overcome this world. And in order for it to happen, it needs to start now. Starting now with you and I. By loving each and every person. Not just when we aren't busy, but in every life situation. Not just to the people we like, but to everyone. And if we need to love when we are not in the best mood or to someone we don't particularly enjoy or when life is busy... before we do go out and love, lets come to Jesus in prayer. Ask Him for the guidance, strength, and courage to overcome the world for His namesake. Ask Him to take control what is holding you back from loving.
     For me, I have been praying about what it is I am called to do. Over the few months this thought has been occurring in my head and every time it does I just keep praying about it. "How when I am told to 'do something now' supposed to do something? I am a broke, college student who is just now beginning her studies." I did not want the excuse of me being a broke, college student to keep me from going and doing. Well, as I have been reading in the New Testament, Jesus has been laying on my heart the importance of loving on others, building each other up, encouraging each other. 
     So if your wondering where to start with 'doing something now,' start with loving. Jesus is love. The bible tells us that through our actions and truth, love is portrayed. And therefore, Jesus is being portrayed. The world needs more love, the world needs Jesus. When you go into a coffee shop, you leave there with that coffee smell. And as you encounter different people, they smell that coffee. Well love works the exact same way! Start the love aroma around you and your friends. 
     My prayer is that this generation wont give up and feel defeated because of our age. That we would start now. Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe (1 Timothy 4:12).  Even though we might be broke, college students... we can make a change. We can make a difference in this world, through showing our love. It does not have to be in a foreign country. It is right here. Right now to your college friends. In your college town. Where are you today? What are you doing today? Wherever you are, whatever you are doing... you can start doing something now. You can love. Because Jesus is love.

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 
1 Peter 3:6

Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
1 Thessalonians 5:10

0 comments:

Post a Comment